ResearchResearch Visits

Long-Term Stay Visa

If you will stay in Japan over 90 days, you need to obtain a research visa. It will require about three months to obtain the visa.

Visa Application (Researcher/Trainee)

Application Deadline

At least 4 months before commencing the research activity.

Application Materials
  1. Application form for Eligibility (Part1 and Part 2 only)
    * No need to fill out "For Organization"
  2. Photo x 1 sheet
  3. Certificate of bank balance, certificate of annual income, or financial record (bank report, proof of scholarship, salary)
  4. A certificate of enrollment or a certificate of employment issued by the home institution
  5. A certified copy of academic certificates (the highest degree or the latest) issued by the university
  6. Research Plan
  7. CV or research achievement
  8. A photocopy of passport
  9. A photocopy of the stamp page of your passport if you have entered Japan in the past years.
  • The documents should be in English or Japanese.
  • Colored parts in the Application form for Eligibility must be filled in completely.
  • If you plan to stay in Japan for one year, the certificate of bank balance must be equivalent to 1,200,000 yen. For 6 months, it must be equivalent 600,000 yen at least.

For more details, please visit Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan

Extension of Research Visa

International researchers are strongly advised to begin the procedures for visa extension three months prior to the expiration date.